This is the first of a series of posts that will give important questions to ask when shopping for a moving company.

Are you licensed and insured for my type of move?

The very first thing the moving company and the customer must determine is the type of move they are going to make.

The trucking business is regulated by the USDOT and the state.

A local move is considered within 30 miles from the point of pickup while staying in the same state. To be considered a local move, you cannot cross state lines. The moving company can go anywhere within the state for a local-move pick up. Legally the company can then go only 30 miles from that pick-up point.

A long-distance move that stays within one state is called an intrastate move. This type of move allows moving companies to move anywhere within the state. There are different types of bonds and insurance for intrastate moves.

If your move is across state lines, it’s an intercontinental move.

All three types of moves require licensing. All three require different insurance and bonds. Some companies don’t qualify or can’t get these bonds, insurance, and licensing. If these companies are caught moving, the truck can be impounded, and the driver will be fined. There is no telling what will happen to the household on the truck. The customer is left with no recourse.

Heritage Moving & Storage, Inc, is fully licensed and insured to handle all three types of moves. We have made major investments in licenses, insurance, and bonds to protect our customers and offer the highest standard of service. If you live in Roanoke, Botetourt County, Salem, Blacksburg, Smith Mountain Lake, or Vinton, and you’re planning a move, give us a call, and let our family move your family!