At Heritage Moving & Storage, Inc., we understand that not everyone can afford to hire a professional moving company. If you’re moving yourself, and your movers are made up of your friends and family members, here are some tips.
1. Line up a few extra people to help you move because you WILL have people back out on you. If you need four people to complete your move, you should line up six or seven people. We get calls regularly from people who lined up only two people to help them move, and both backed out at the last minute.
2. Be sure the friends and family members you ask to help you are hard workers. Moving is very hard work, and people may show up to help, but they may not work hard and will accomplish little.
3. Provide food and plenty of water for your volunteer crew. Have coffee and donuts ready for them in the morning. Provide sandwiches, subs, or pizza for lunch.
4. Forego alcohol on moving day. If you provide alcohol early in the day, your workers will likely not accomplish very much.
Encourage your helpers to be careful with your belongings. Non-professionals are prone to scratching, dropping, and breaking items.
5. Lastly, be sure to say thank you to those who help you.
We hope these tips help you plan your moving day if you are unable to hire a professional moving company. If you are moving into or out of the greater Roanoke area, and you are considering hiring movers, look no further than Heritage Moving & Storage, Inc. We are proud to serve customers in Roanoke, Salem, Vinton, Smith Mountain Lake, Blacksburg, Botetourt County, and all of Southwest Virginia.