A “pitfall” is a hidden or not easily recognized danger or difficulty. Pitfalls are common in the moving experience. At Heritage Moving & Storage, Inc., we want our Roanoke, Virginia customers and prospects to experience as few of these pitfalls as possible.
Pitfall: Not knowing how to choose a moving company.
Choosing a moving company is not like buying a car, where you can buy from any showroom and end up with the same car made from the same factory. Here are some tips:
1. When choosing movers, keep in mind that the absolute worst criteria for picking a mover is price. This does not mean that you have to go with the most expensive company, but be very careful that you consider factors besides price.
2. The quality of a moving company is largely based on the crew who comes out to handle your move. Be sure to evaluate the movers by checking a few references and consulting the Better Business Bureau. You might also want to take a look at the crew while they’re in action. Ask for the location of a move they have coming up, and do a drive by to watch them work.
3. Be careful of Internet movers. You may be thinking you’re hiring a local moving company, when they’re actually in a different part of the country. If you have a problem, you have nobody to go to. Confirm the company’s location by asking to visit their office.
4. Be wary of moving companies who ask for a large, non-refundable deposit. Many have been scammed by moving companies who run your credit card, then don’t show up on the day of the move.
5. When you’re comparing moving companies, be sure to compare “apples to apples.” Different companies offer many different services such as packing and storage, so it can be tricky to make exact comparisons.