Moving day with kids can be challenging for any parent. If your child is having an “off” day and is demanding attention or misbehaving, your focus will quickly go from your move to your child, and this can slow down moving day. It can also unnerve and frustrate you on an already emotional day.
At Heritage Moving & Storage, Inc., we want to help you be prepared for every part of your move. Here are some tips for helping you and your kids enjoy a peaceful moving day:
1. Tell your children ahead of time exactly what will happen on moving day. Don’t let the events of moving day be a surprise to your children. Kids struggle with change just like adults. Help your children be prepared and feel as secure as possible throughout the moving process.
2. If your children are old enough to help, make moving day a fun project. Have your children help pack their rooms before moving day. Ask them to help you label boxes. Ask them to help organize items you aren’t sending with the movers. Try to get the kids involved.
3. Ask your children to be careful and safe. Let your children know that the moving truck is not a place to play. Ask them to stay away from movers carrying heavy furniture.
4. Provide a pack of items to keep your children occupied. Put together an assortment of age-appropriate books, coloring books, games, puzzles, etc. These packs help on moving day and can also help if you have a long drive or flight to your new home.
5. Consider asking a babysitter or a family member to spend the day with your children. Your children will have a great time, and you’ll be fully available for moving-day responsibilities.
Heritage Moving & Storage, Inc., is happy to provide information to help you and your family avoid as much moving-day stress as possible. We serve greater Roanoke, Virginia, including Salem, Vinton, Blacksburg, Smith Mountain Lake, and more. If you’re considering a professional moving company, call us today.